Okay, there seems to be a confusion between the different governments. HMPO is now saying that my long form birth certificate (which they requested, I might add) is not what they want. They want some document that was issued within a year of my birth. I don’t think they completely understand that a BIRTH CERTIFICATE issued at ANY time is a proof of an archived document that is the formal proof of my birth. SO, early Monday morning, I need to get myself down to the core of down town Montreal to apply for a “copy of an act” which is pretty much the same as my birth certificate except… well, I guess we’ll find out. From what I can see online, the same info is on both.
The lovely lady that called (and can I say, government workers in Canada could take lessons from the manners and politeness of the UK government workers… REALLY!) said that she would consider it. But unless The Doctor pops by with his TARDIS, how am I going to go back in time to tell my parents to get a proper copy of the act and save it for me till now (43 years later)?? Not sure what else I can do. Hope this works!
Plan B is being examined. Just in case.
I know I am eligible for the British passport… there is no question. I meet the requirements completely, as clean cut a case as can be imagined… we’re not entirely sure why the new document is being requested other than the crack downs on immigration in the UK and maybe they have a quota of “problems” to find. No idea. But it is additional expense and waiting time. And with the move looming in two weeks, it’s starting to get a little stressful to be dealing with this after waiting almost three months with no word from them. But we’ll just through their hoops if it makes them feel better. 🙂
My Hunny’s passport application is being stalled though he was born on British soil to British parents because they want a statement from him that states WHY he’s applying from Canada. (Um, because that’s where he lives now??) So we have to do that too… so it really does make me think that they have to look like they are being picky to satisfy those in the country that would say they are too lax in their work. I’m hoping it means only a short delay. S’all good though.. we’re still on schedule, we still have a few months, and our leaving date is flexible anyhow.
But just in case, we’ve decided to put our main furniture into storage rather than get rid of it like originally planned, just in case… just in case… no sense in off-loading in haste, repenting at leisure. LOL!
So, it’s the paperwork waiting game. And she called us while we were on the road so we were unable to get it done on Friday, and there is nothing at all either of us can do until Monday morning, so we’ll just hang out this weekend and try to make sense of boxes. (I hate boxes. Boxes are evil.)
Have a GLORIOUS weekend everyone! It’s one of the last this summer… make the most of it – SNOW is on it’s way soon! 😉